Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pregnacy Boom

As summer begins at Gloucester High School in Massachusetts, seventeen girls are expecting babies. As school officals starting looking for answers in October, they noticed the same girls piling into the clinic for pregancy tests. By May, it seemed that more girls were upset because they were not expecting a child. It got worse when they found out that one of the fathers was a 24-year old homeless man. The national data showed a 3% rise in teen pregancies since 2006, but still wasn't sure if they wanted to provide birth control. Gloucester High School has plans to to vote on whether they should hand out birth control withour parental consent. But that might not solve the problems for the teens that are wanting to get pregnant.



I agree with this article. I don't think a sophomore in high school is ready to have a baby by any means. They are crazy to say that they want to raise their babies together. Do they not know how hard it will be to finish high school and raise a baby? Most of them probably aren't even old enough to get a job and they are wanting a baby. Which means that they are just excepting their parents to pay for everything. If they are just doing this for attention there are so many more ways to get attention, but not to bring a baby into this world when you aren't financially ready.

3 comments:

Julie bolt said...

Hillary, I agree with your comments. I wonder, how many of these young girls really were just "living in the moment" and now are having second thoughts. It will be interesting to see the results after they vote this summer.

becky said...

I agree with you also. If they were jsut wanting the attention, they sure as heck got it. The whole nation knows of it. I would like to hear some interviews of some of the girls that are actually pregnant to maybe hear how they are feeling on the matter now.

skewblog said...

That's true why bring a baby into this world just say, "hey let's get pregnant together and raise them together." They don't have a clue on what it takes. They obviously haven't looked into the future, how will I finish school, who will watch the baby when I have to go to work, there goes my 'going out days'. I was 31yr when I had my son, my life CHANGED and I'm married. Everything changed.
Lisa